Porting forms

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Hi again,

What is your recommendation for developing and porting forms?  I want to run and debug my apps in .net so I need to also port the 'framework'. I can think of the following solutions:

1. Create 2 forms, one in .net and the other in flash (ie don't port the form logic)

2. Port the winform or WPF framework to haxe (this sounds like a big job) - I believe JSC are attempting this however it's unknown how much is supported

3. Port the flash gui framework to .net (this sounds like a big job).  JSC seem to be doing this as well

4. Create a lightweight framework in both .net and flash  The bulk of the application extends from the light framework so most of the app code is ported, but the framwork is implemented with winforms on .net end and flash on the haxe end.  This is the option I've been working on.  This is similar to a bridge pattern - ie bridge winforms and haxe

Just wondering what your thoughts are and whether you have tackled this problem. 

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

This is outside the scope of CS2HX but I agree it would be a useful application.  If I were to tackle the problem, I would go with option 4 because options 2 and 3 would likely not be able to support every single feature of the originating platform.